York University now has Priority Carpool Parking!
Winter term starts January 2013 - Visit the Smart Commute office to get your permit today!
Students, staff and faculty of York University can start saving on their commute costs by finding a ride match on Smart Commute's York University Carpool Zone group.
About York University
York University, Canada’s 3rd largest university, is home to almost 68,000 students, staff, and faculty (including Seneca@York) and is an excellent example of success made possible through smarter commuting.
In the late 1990s, York University was experiencing parking and infrastructure challenges. 70% of commuters were driving alone while 30% were taking alternate modes. To address these challenges, the University undertook a number of initiatives. These included working with the City of Toronto to establish the Black Creek Regional Transportation Management Association (BCRTMA) at York University’s Keele Campus in 2001. The organization was incorporated in 2003, and was subsequently renamed Smart Commute - North Toronto, Vaughan (NTV) in 2005 to reflect its expanded service area.
Over the years, Smart Commute NTV and York University have formed a strong relationship, one which has delivered significant results in the field of sustainable transportation. York University has worked tirelessly to make both the Keele and Glendon campuses more accessible and commuter-friendly. Key achievements are listed below:
- significant increases in daily bus service to campus (approximately 144% increase from 2001-2006)
- addition of a York University GO Transit Highway 407 bus (approximately 12,000 rides/day)
- shuttle service between York University’s Keele and Glendon campuses
- a York University GO Transit rail stop (approximately 350 rides/day) with shuttle service to Keele campus
- discounted TTC monthly passes and GO Transit student identification cards
- establishment of increased cycling and carpooling amenities
- Toronto-York Spadina subway coming to York University! An 8.6km extension of the existing line will run through York University and make the campus even more accessible.
Smart Commute at York University
Smart Commute's storefront office is located in the York Lanes Colonnade, facing the University Bus Loop. Students and staff should feel to drop in for transit advice and maps, online routes and schedules or to sign up for Zipcar and Carpool Zone.
Smart Commute works closely with York University Transportation Services. For more information on the University's Transportation Services, click here.
Tweet your commute questions and experiences to @CommuteToYorkU
Bicycle User Group (BUG)
In collaboration with York University, Smart Commute NTV offers an active Bicycle User Group (BUG) with more than 500 members. Members get access to the latest information on cycling routes and new infrastructure and an opportunity to connect with other cycling enthusiasts. Contact us to become a member for free.
Emergency Ride Home
Zipcar has partnered with York University to bring car sharing to the campus! There are nine self-service Zipcars available for use 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The cars are currently located in the Sentinel Road Lot and the Albany Road lot at York University's Keele Campus.