Carpool Zone is a free online ride-matching service provided by Smart Commute that rewards users for their eco-friendly efforts and tracks greenhouse gases and money saved by carpooling. Use Carpool Zone to find a carpool partner and start saving!
Benefits of Carpooling
- Save Money: Owning and operating a car costs approximately $9,000 per year. This figure is estimated by the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) based on a mid-size car driven 18,000 km annually (a 30km daily round trip). Carpooling can cut costs from 50% to 75% by sharing the costs of fuel and parking.
- Save Time: Fast track to your destination in High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes that carry fewer cars but more people than regular lanes. Many employers also offer priority parking spaces for carpools, parking you closer to your office door.
- Reduce Stress: Sharing the ride to work takes the stress out of driving alone. Arrive at your destination less stressed, on time and ready to take on the task at hand. According to a survey of Greater Toronto and Hamilton area commuters, 89% of carpoolers are satisfied with their commute.
- Improve Air Quality/ Take Action on Climate Change: Driving alone to work each day uses tremendous amounts of energy, and causes air, water and noise pollution. Transportation alone accounts for half of individual greenhouse gas emissions. By sharing fuel with other passengers in your carpool and travelling more efficiently you will be reducing pollutants that contribute to poor air quality. You will also be taking action on climate change by reducting carbon dioxide emissions.
- Convenience: Take advantage of carpool lots as convenient places to meet up with your carpool. For more information on the location of Carpool Lots, click here.
Carpooling - Frequently Asked Questions